iLearn VLE Site Policy
iLearn VLE Site Policy and Data Protection Statement
iLearn is the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) used at Barnet and Southgate College. It is based on the Moodle 'Course Management System' (http://www.moodle.org), a free open source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. Moodle is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
iLearn provides a range of features for the delivery, support, administration and participation in teaching and learning activities. The features include content delivery and collaboration between tutors and learners, such as:
- Content creation or upload
- Discussion forums and chat rooms
- Messaging tools
- Quizzes, and
- Monitoring of users' online activity
The VLE is integrated with Barnet and Southgate College Student Records database to enable the creation of accounts for enrolled students and their allocation to the appropriate study areas. Other software and web services may also be linked to provide an integrated learning environment for staff and students. The VLE is defined as Barnet and Southgate College implementation of the Moodle course management system and all other linked software tools for the support and delivery of teaching and learning at Barnet and Southgate College. Hereafter it will be referred to as 'iLearn'.
Purpose of the Site Policy
The purpose of the iLearn Site Policy is to specify user responsibilities and to promote the appropriate use of ILearn for the protection of all members of the College community. The Site Policy applies both within and out with College premises.
Please note that users include ad hoc learners attending short courses at the College.
- All users must register to use iLearn.
- All registered users must agree to the iLearn Site Policy and any other applicable College policies, including the IT Acceptable Use Policy and the JANET Acceptable Use Policy. These Policies cover the whole period that the user is a member of the Moodle community at Barnet and Southgate College.
- On registration, users must give their consent to Barnet and Southgate College’s processing of their personal data via iLearn and to acknowledge the College’s Data Protection Statement.
Users of iLearn must agree to:
- Not use iLearn for anything else other than for the purposes of teaching, learning and research. However, incidental personal use, for example via the Moodle social forums, is acceptable.
- Not use iLearn for personal commercial use, for example marketing.
- Not use iLearn for uploading, storing, viewing or transmitting any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.
- Not misrepresent the College or bring it into disrepute in any way through the use of iLearn.
- Be responsible for moderating discussion forums which they may have created.
- Always act in a professional manner. Be polite and courteous to others when using iLearn. iLearn is not to be used to libel, slander, or harass any other persons.
- Not plagiarise in submitted postings or assignments.
- Not breach the copyright of the College or any third party by copying from iLearn without authorisation. Copyright of the course materials and content of iLearn are owned or controlled by the Barnet and Southgate College unless otherwise stated. Any copies of third party materials will be clearly labelled with warnings about any copyright restrictions.
- Any piece of work submitted electronically may be submitted to Turnitin (3rd party software to check for originality) and added to the TurnitinUK database.
Your Responsibilities and Data Protection
Users of iLearn must agree to:
- Look after their own username and password. Do not share your password with anyone else and do not use the username and password of other users.
- Keep physical access to iLearn secure. For example, do not login to iLearn and then leave your computer unattended.
- Not attempt to gain unauthorised access to any part of iLearn.
- Not post material which contains viruses or other programs which may disrupt the College’s IT systems.
- Not upload private, confidential or sensitive material unless this is authorised.
- Keep their own data up-to-date and secure.
- Understand that Barnet and Southgate College will not take responsibility for any loss of information, which has been posted on iLearn, once users cease to be formally associated with the College.
Certain activities will be regarded very seriously by the College and are subject to severe penalties for users, including suspension of use of iLearn or even the College. For staff such activities will be treated as gross misconduct under the Disciplinary and Capability Policy and for students will be regarded as misconduct in the Academic Regulations.
These activities include deliberate interruption to the use of iLearn; gaining or attempting to gain unauthorised access to any part of iLearn or information stored therein; unauthorised disclosure of personal data; and the viewing, transmitting or storing any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.
iLearn Data Protection Statement
By agreeing to the following Data Protection Statement, you are giving your permission to the College to process your personal data via iLearn for the purposes of teaching and learning. Barnet and Southgate College will also process your personal data as part of the administration of your studies at the College.
iLearn is hosted in the UK at Barnet and Southgate College. However, some aspects will be hosted by third parties under contract with the College. Barnet and Southgate College and contracted third parties will deal with your personal data in accordance with the principles set out in the GDPR 2018.
The information we will collect about you
External users: on registering with iLearn, the College will collect your name, email address and contact address. You may choose to add a photograph of yourself to iLearn if you wish.
The College already collects this information at the time of student registration. iLearn is integrated with the student records database.
The personal data collected will be adequate, relevant and not excessive for the purposes stated above.
In order to use ILearn you must have 'cookies enabled' on your web browser. By agreeing to this Data Protection Statement, you agree to allow certain information about you to be collected from iLearn.
We collect your information by cookies. Cookies are small file structures used by iLearn to 'request' information from the computer which you are using. This information is then returned to iLearn and stored. The types of information we collect may include usage statistics, for example when users last logged into the system, when they accessed certain activities, or when they uploaded their assignments.
We use this information to help improve services by ensuring that the material and content of the courses match with the users' requirement and also to make sure users are not having problems with access. The usage statistics are visible to iLearn administrators and may be visible to your course tutors and, where applicable, authorised users.
Who will have access to your information?
Fellow students on your course and authorised persons, for example external examiners and placement assessors, will have access to your name, iLearn email address, photograph and any discussion comments you make. You and your fellow students will be able to view each other’s profiles.
Only you and authorised persons will have access to your assessment information.
For further information and help on data protection issues, please visit Barnet and Southgate College website.
Please note that Barnet and Southgate College reserves the right to remove, vary or amend any of the content which appears on iLearn at any time and without prior notice.
Please also note that iLearn may contain links to other websites outside the College’s control and that Barnet and Southgate College is not responsible for the content or accessibility of these sites.